Monday, October 13, 2008

Merced: first impressions

So I moved across the country. The trip itself is another post, maybe. I'm not sure we had any real culinary adventures, aside from fry sauce (meh) and some very good barbeque in Lovelock, Nevada, of which the beans that were almost as much linguisa as beans were definitely the highlight. At any rate, I now reside in Merced, CA.

My basis for comparison is Storrs, but to be fair to CT, I'll include Manchester and Vernon in my local area. Merced, at first pass, pretty much kicks the crap out of it either way. On the fast food front, the presence of In'n'out and Sonic means that it's possible to eat a cheap, quick burger and fries without ingesting toxic additives. Also, strawberry limeade.

I was anticipating being able to get better Mexican food, but my only venture in that direction has been at the 24 hour drive through called Victoria's. Yeah, 24 hour drive through Mexican food. It is cheap, and everything I've tried has been really good. Their beans are a bit too salty for my taste, but the horchata is muy deliciouso. Did I mention they're open 24 hours and I don't have to get out of my car? I've seen at least four or five other Mexican places, including one with a lunch buffet and another that apparently specializes in enchiladas.

As far as other cuisines, I've seen a couple of different asian countries represented, one Italian place, and an Indian place. I went to a Vietnamese place for lunch today, called Rice Bowl. The summer roll was good, if not as fat as I'm used to, and the coffee was great, but the pho was not terribly impressive. The broth was a bit weak, both in spice and general beefiness, and there was no basil included. A nice guy who was arriving as I was about to leave told me there's another one down the street, but that the pho there was too heavily spiced, particularly with ginger. Apparently San Jose has a ton of Vietnamese places, which were the standard for him. I think the strength of this place may be in their non-pho dishes, which I will have to explore at some point.

I'm about to hit the grocery store for the first time, to get some staples and food for the week. I need to explore the different options for grocery stores, especially the ethnic specialty stores, of which there seem to be many.

1 comment:

CadeRageous said...

Welcome to California Theo! You're only about 2 hours away from me in the city and less to some of the rest of the gang in south bay.