Thursday, September 13, 2007

[TND] 9.11 Curried Skewers

Last Tuesday was an experimental recipe that I borrowed and modified from a link off the Fine Cooking web spam I occasionally get. It involved a modified curry powder made by adding ground cumin, coriander, white pepper, paprika and a touch of cinnamon to a store curry powder. Cubed a pork loin, sprinkled with the curry mixture and let it marinate in minced garlic, olive oil and orange juice. I did the same thing with some nice tuna steaks, but they didn't get to marinate, as I didn't want to bury the tuna in the curry, but next time I would definitely let them go the distance. Salmon might work too. After letting them marinate for a couple hours or overnight, skewered them with the biggest, roundest red grapes I could find. Grill until the meat is done, the grapes should have char marks and shriveled a bit. The tuna you can let be a bit rare if it's good enough quality.

It worked much much better than I thought it would. The raisin-y but still grape-y flavor of the grapes with the hint of curry was a great transition between the curried pieces of pork. Grilling the grapes alone was pretty tasty, which was not something I'd expected either.

I also used the curry mixture on some cauliflower, after applying oil and salt, which I then roasted. It was delicious, though I need to figure out how to better distribute the curry mixture, as I had a couple bites that were almost gritty because there was too much of it in one place.

Next week is Argentinian burgers and sweet potato oven fries, I think.

No comments: