Tuesday, October 16, 2007

[TND] 9.25 Shepherd's Pie

A while ago, I had an idea for a less traditional shepherd's pie, using sweet potatoes instead of the traditional russet. It's a pretty intuitive idea, so you can probably find some recipes out there for it. I couldn't find one I liked, so I just made mashed sweet potatoes like I would have to serve separately, with a bit of brown sugar and a hint of ancho chile powder. At the suggestion of my mom, I used frozen corn, heated 3/4 of the cooking time (I got the organic stuff 'cause it was on sale). I wanted to mix ground beef and lamb, but the grocery store had one small package of lamb, so it was basically just ground beef. Typical seasonings, but I also added a good bit of chipotle chile powder. A while ago I made some twice baked sweet potatoes with chipotle, and the combination is quite good. It worked very well here, I'll definitely be doing this recipe again.

No comments: