Monday, November 10, 2008

Fettucine with radicchio and lemon

I mentioned that I picked up a couple of radicchio at the farmer's market on saturday. I poked around for a few recipes and came up with one that looked good from Mario Batali. The gist of it is wilt the radicchio with some shallots, add cream, reduce, add fresh pasta, add lemon zest and juice, add asiago, enjoy.

It's brilliant. The bitterness of the radicchio with the tangy lemon against the saltiness and creaminess is just amazing. It'll end up being about three or four meals worth for me, so it's a good thing. I substituted two little meyer lemons for one of the lemons, and it's noticeable. I don't think I'd do more than that, and you probably can't get meyer lemons for twenty cents each where you are.

I struggled with the pasta. It's really difficult to make it in quantity. I got in a little fight with my pasta roller, had to step back, take some deep breaths, toss out some dough, and keep going. I need some better strategies for doing it in steps. The stand mixer worked fantastic for making a big batch of the dough, but I found I needed more liquid than the recipe called for, despite measuring the eggs as liquid, not numerically. It's still better than anything I can buy at the store, but I think I may get some dried pasta for when I'm feeling lazy, because it's a pain to clean up. For this dish, though, I wouldn't use anything other than fresh.

1 comment:

mark said...

I like to use dried pasta when I'm lazy too. Not just for clean-up; I've found that letting the dough sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes really helps make it a better texture and a more consistent product, but I don't always feel like turning cooking into a 2 hour process.

A little leftover flour is not a bad thing if you end up working the flour in gradually, as it doesn't affect your dough when it's just sitting on the side. I tend to the 3 cups of flour to 2 egg ratio, and tweak it based on how the texture ends up for each particular batch.

What kind of flour are you using?