Sunday, November 9, 2008

Onigiri and rice

I've mentioned here and there that I've been making onigiri. Now, I haven't had authentic onigiri, which is something I'll remedy once I'm a bit more settled. Apparently there's some good places in the Bay area to get Japanese cooking supplies, and some of those places also have foodstuffs. My other option is to make onigiri for the group that went to Japan last summer, and use their experience to guide my own. Or both, since the latter is likely to happen regardless. Onigiri for all!

I've been following the tips and instructions over at Just Hungry, which is a really useful blog for people attempting to cook Japanese food outside of Japan. It's a good read, too, so check it out. Rice is very important. I've got ready access to a variety of rices, and I've come to really like the Japanese short grain rice, which is actually a medium grain. It takes a bit of extra prep work. You need to rinse it thoroughly, rub the grains of rice together, keep rinsing, and then let it dry for 20-30 minutes. You cook it like any other rice, start high, go low, tight fitting lid, but with a bit less water than a long grain rice might use. Package instructions are your friend. After the water is gone, let it rest with a damp towel over it for 10-15 min, and it's just a different class of rice. It coheres and is sticky, but each grain is distinct. It's firm but still soft, and has a great flavor. I've been eating it just as rice, or even in place of long grain.

Onigiri are basically balls of rice with filling. They usually end up in a triangular shape for ease of eating and carrying, but that shaping takes practice and my attempts at it have thus far ended up with fillings poking out. I'll keep trying it though. The simple way to make them is a combination of plastic wrap and a teacup (I use a ceramic dish lifted from a chem lab in some distant past that's been in our family for ages, they're the perfect size). The description on justhungry is better than anything I'd be able to do here. I still find these to be a bit big and the ratio of rice to filling isn't quite right. They're still completely edible, but either I need a smaller cup or I'm not doing it quite right. I'll keep messing with it. My other problem is that they seem to dry out pretty quickly, possibly because I live in a very low humidity environment. Dried out rice is not good eats. I have some ideas to solve this, mostly they revolve around eating them faster, but that doesn't help me with packed lunches.

Fillings are the easiest and probably the funnest part. I did a simple tuna with soy sauce filling the first time, and it was okay. Next time I'd use more soy sauce and some ginger and possibly chili sauce too. I sauted some onions and mushrooms with a bit of soy sauce and black pepper, this worked out brilliantly and was delicious. I mentioned I want to try some braised radiccio, since I think the bitterness will contrast nicely with the rice.

No comments: