Sunday, August 26, 2007

[TND] 8.28 Fettucine with Red Sauce

It is the end of summer and thus it is time for tomatoes. At the Tolland farmer's market, I have found a stand which sells several varieties of heirloom tomatoes, all grown organically. These are beautiful tomatoes. They are large, usually about 1/2-1 pound, and have beautiful red color. One of these days I'll actually remember to write down the varieties. The variety he has most consistently is a duller red, and has a very high ratio of flesh to seeds. I've used them for many things, including simply eating them with a bit of kosher salt.

The plan is to make them into a very simple red sauce. I tried this earlier in the week with the ones from last week, and it was amazing. We'll see if it scales up and works with multiple varieties of tomatoes. The recipe is simple, it's onions and garlic (also organic and from the farmer's market) sautéd in olive oil, chop and add tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and reduce as much as possible. Add chopped basil off the heat, just before serving. Parmesan is optional.

I think if I make the garlic butter tomorrow night, I should be able to make cheesy garlic bread too, I just need to get garlic sometime tomorrow, or have someone pick it up for me.

No comments: