Tuesday, August 28, 2007

[TND] 8.28 Simple Red Sauce

This worked out really well again. I used a bit of slurry since I didn't have time to let it reduce, and I think it didn't have an effect on the taste. I used three different types of tomatoes, and it seemed to be a little more depth of flavor, but the "paste" varieties I think make for a more classic sauce. Nigel got to compare it directly to the previous sauce, and said that last week's sauce was a bit sweeter. May have been the different basil, too.

I also made the garlic bread I've been making for the last little while. Roast the garlic, mix with butter, fresh oregano and cracked pepper. Spread it on lengthwise halved bread and top with either shredded mozzarella or sliced fresh mozzarella. Bake it until the cheese is just browning. Let it cool so the cheese doesn't go everywhere when you slice it. It has been and was amazing this time.

I cannot recommend fresh heirloom tomatoes enough. Go buy some before summer is over and you have to wait until next year.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Excellent as always. I found that if you added just a little bit of the Parmesan cheese was perfect. Too much and it was a little too salty. How does this thing know I'm "Dave"?

Theo said...

It uses gmail accounts.

Theo said...

And I concur about the cheese. I could have used less salt to allow for more cheese, and shredded over grated would also work better, I think.